Wednesday, 19 April 2017

Week 2, Post 1


In the office I make use of Conveyancer, PC Law and Will builder; the more experienced legal assistants handle all the Teraview related jobs.  Easily one of the most frustrating things about the software I would have to say is that the computers largely use wordperfect, and though I would not say that it is difficult it is an adjustment from word. 

So as of late I have been mostly doing correspondence - such as writing to other lawyers to fulfill undertakings, sending cheques to clients - and accounts.  So when doing accounts I start  by printing a pre-bill from PC law. I take this and I compare it to the statement of Adjustments in Conveyancer and make sure everything balances.   From there I produce the statements of accounts, 4 copies. Green for the lawyers, pink for the file, yellow for accounting and a copy on letter head that is sent to the client.  I also have been doing cheque requisitions.

I have not been prescribed a specific project; the work at Giffen is divided in an interesting way, where less experienced legal assistants do stuff like cheque requisitions, correspondence, opening files and accounting, and all of this work is turned over to a more experienced legal assistant in the interim. 

Because of what my work has so far consisted of I have not needed to use any resources to date, except for when I was briefly looking up charities (for bequest in a Will) on the Government of Canada website. 


*Throw back to last week*

I thought tests/quizzes/portfolios was a good course of action opposed to exam. I liked this cause it created a less stress free environment and really kind of eliminated a lot of hours of studying during peak academic times. I personally didn't use the bulletin board, but I do think it is a good idea and probably something I should have utilized.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Spencer!

    I'm glad to hear you're liking Giffen. Such nice people there! I'm curious how much and what kind of information you fill out in Conveyancer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy to hear you are enjoying your placement. I see you have more of an accounting responsibility and are using PC Law a lot. Are you enjoying that? I know I never really enjoyed PC Law.

    I am kind of in the same boat as you. The only other legal assistant in my firm seems to be doing a lot of the harder work because she is more experienced and is familiar with the clients files. I have started taking on a bigger role as the week has ended, and I have been able to put more files together, so I hope I continue to grow. I wouldn't want to just be opening and closing files all day every day.

    And about your throw back comment, I couldn't agree more. The quizes/tests eliminated so much more work for us to complete outside of class.

    Have fun in your last week!! All the best Spencer! :)

    ReplyDelete